Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Remembering to Remember


Hello, readers.

This morning, I spent a great deal of time thinking about people I should thank. I was working on the acknowledgment section of my thesis. There were the obvious folk: my teachers, my friends, my family, the universe. And then there were the people I couldn't understand how I could possibly thank, figuring that anything I wrote would never be enough. I thanked them anyway. A few people I never met made the list, too: authors, fictional characters, tv shows, etc. It seemed silly to discriminate on the basis of reality.

Speaking of lists and memory, Kevin Brockmeier, who once upon a time I interviewed, has listed his fifty favorite stories on the new Oxford American website. He also contributed the Pinnacle Mountain State Park to the Oxford American list of the South's cheap thrills. Here's what he has to say about that.

"Best of all, if you get lost on the way down, you can wander through the trees without any sign of other human beings, and you can imagine that by some strange power you have been transported to an earlier and better time, a time when there was still the chance that you could be happy..."

Side-note, check out The View from the Seventh Layer, which recently came out in paperback and was seen by me yesterday while taking one last Sunday stroll around the Square.

See, Kevin. You're not the only one that can be wistful.

Happy Monday, readers.

ttfn.

No comments:

Post a Comment